Pages Menu
Categories Menu

The São Clemente Farm

The São Clemente Farm, located in Boa Sorte, 5th district of Cantagalo’s county, in the state of Rio de Janeiro, was founded in the 18th century, during the coffee cycle, and has thrived during the past two centuries: a testament to the importance and grandiosity of the property once managed by Francisco Clemente Pinto, Commander of the Imperial Order of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Officer of the Imperial Order of the Rose and Advisor of the House of Charity of Cantagalo.

The coffee grower Francisco Clemente Pinto owned ten coffee plantations: São Clemente, Mata Porcos, Bela Vista, Itaocara, Valão do Barro, Pedra Lisa, Serraria, Ibipeba, Ipituna and Casa Branca. He was born in 1803, never married, and died in 1872. He is buried in São João Batista Cemetery, in Nova Friburgo county, Rio de Janeiro.

After the Commander’s death, the São Clemente farm was inherited by his namesake nephew, on August 27th, 1873, in sentence as the universal testamentary successor. The inheritor Francisco Clemente Pinto, engineer, graduated in Belgium, “related to the earl of Nova Friburgo and São Clemente, a man well known by his progressive ideas and his chivalry”, was very interested by the production development of large coffee farms.

The farm had an area of 700 acres and in 1883 had 177 slaves and 750,000 feet

Francisco Clemente Pinto married Eulalia de Barcelos, who then was called Eulalia Clemente Pinto, with whom he had nine children. Francisco Clemente Pinto was born in 1848 and died in 1921.

The São Clemente Farm became one of the major coffee-growing farms in Cantagalo County, has followed step by step the expansion movement, the rise and decay of the coffee culture in the Valley of Paraíba Fluminense. Illustrious characters passed by São Clemente Farm, such as the Emperor D. Pedro II, Dr. Luiz Monteiro Caminhoá and Baron Johann Jakob von Tschudi.

Coffee plantation decrease was motivated by the emergence of pests on crops and soil depletion,the Abolition of Slavery in 1888, the Proclamation of the Republic in 1889, and the “Encilhamento” crisis (Financial crisis Brazil suffered), from 1890, a period of strong financial concern, were determinant factors for the closure of many farms that had abandoned their coffee plantations. Innumerous bulky fortunes were lost. In 1891, an epidemic of yellow fever broke out and killed part of Cantagalo’s population.

In the early twentieth century, the coffee barons, or their descendants, started losing their farms and other wealth they had amassed during the coffee cycle.

The engineer Francisco Clemente Pinto appealed for a mortgage loan, in 1907, since he could not “fulfill with the floating proposed by the mortgage loan, Francisco Clemente Pinto lost the farm to the Banque Belge de Prêts Fonciers, based in Antwerp and its branch located in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Then acquired by Mr. José Affonso Fontainha Sobrinho “.

In July 6th, 1920, the São Clemente farm became the property of the Monnerat Clan. Colonel José Affonso Fontainha Sobrinho, owner of the São Clemente farm, exchanged his farm for Paradise farm, owned by Colonel João Henrique Monnerat.

In April 4th, 1990, Carlos Monnerat Lincoln and his wife Maria José Cardoso Monnerat donated to his son Marcello Cardoso Monnerat through public deed their share received by inheritance.

In November 2001, Marcello Cardoso Monnerat, great-grandson of Colonel João Henrique Monnerat acquired from the other heirs all of the parts that were in the condo. In March 2002, he acquired office. Subsequently, the complex plots originating from the São Clemente Coffee Farm were reincorporated. Therefore, the historical headquarter of São Clemente Farm reached the current and sole owner. Now opening its doors to you.

To Cultivate and study the development of some species of plants of the Arecaceae family (formerly known as palm trees), as well as its landscape composition were the goals that Marcello Cardoso Monnerat took to develop a project in Cantagallo designed to cultivate and search palm species. So, in March of 1991, Marcello Cardoso Monnerat started planting the Orchard-Park SãoUriel, located near the historical headquarters of the São Clemente Farm. However, destiny, was the Lord, and in March of 2002, Marcello Cardoso Monnerat took initiative of the restoration of the historical headquarters of São Clemente Farm, at the time an unkempt property that needed immediate interventions. Therefore, it was necessary to interrupt the formation of the germplasm palms’ bank. Before the restoration processes initiated they removed about two tons of trash and debris inside of São Clemente’s buildings and its vicinities.